Project title: Biology and control of vector-born infections in Europe; FP7-HEALTH-2010-single-stage EDENext, EC; Project duration: 01.01.2011 - 30.06.2015
a). Project objectives:The main objectives of the project is investigation of the biological, ecological and epidemiological components of introduction, emergence and spread of vector-borne diseases (VBD)
b). Project implementation:
- to identify potential Phlebotomine vectors, to study their biology and epidemiological role in the transmission of PhB-viruses and leishmaniasis.
- to explore the recent spread of sand fly species/populations into new geographical areas.
- to investigate recent changes in the abundance of vectors and transmitted pathogens.
- to generate vector and disease (leishmaniasis and Phlebovirus infections) risk maps of Europe and adjacent regions (including Mediterranean and EECA countries).
c). Expected results: the set of innovative research methods, tools and results delivered during the project will be a substantial contribution toward:
- evaluation of the effectiveness of different interventional measurements and development of new interventional tools to reduce or eliminate spread of vector-borne diseases.
- development of the early warning system to monitor emergence and spread of vector-borne diseases.
- development of universal approaches for monitoring and early warning systems for vector-borne diseases.